A hearty stew perfect for those chilly days. Typically served with rice and pickles on the side. My favorite are eggplant pickles. You can use either small okra or chopped long okra.
- 1 pound small okra
- 1 pound chopped stew beef
- 28 oz diced tomato
- 2 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 head garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Bharat (Syrian Spice Mix)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a pan over a medium-high heat and add half the okra and saute for 5 minutes stirring occasionally (okra should be placed in one layer). Move okra to a dish covered with a kitchen towel to remove extra oil and saute the rest of the okra.
- saute garlic until light brown and put aside.
- In the same pot, brown the meet and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- At this point you can transfer all ingredients to a slow cooker and cooker on low for 3-4 hours.
- Otherwise, transfer all the ingredients into the pot, bring to a boil then simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Serve with peppered rice.