A fail-proof recipe to prepare the famous semolina (smeed) cake. It has a much denser flavor that those made with all-purpose flour. Semolina is mixed with butter, yogurt. Syrup sweetens the cake and is added after it is done. Tahini adds a surprising yet great final touch to Harisi.
- 2 cups smeed (semolina)
- 2/3 cup butter + 1 tablespoon ghee (or replace with butter)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup + 2 teaspoons yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 11/2 cups syrup
- A dash of salt
- Almond halves for decoration (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Mix smeed, sugar, salt and melted butter and ghee until blended.
- Stir baking powder and baking soda into 1/2 cup yogurt, and then add to the previous mixture.
- Blend all together. Mixture will be thick as soft dough.
- Grease a 9” x 9” pan with tahini and add mixture.
- Level it with a spatula and add the rest of the yogurt on top.
- At this point, you can decorate with blanched almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes until sides are brown then broil on low for 5 minutes.
- Once you take harisi out of the oven, cut into small squares and pour syrup all over it.
Makes 12 servings