Bored with your everyday traditional dill pickles? Try eggplant pickles with a texture and garlicky flavor like no other. Eggplants are boiled and stuffed with garlic and red pepper before they are fermented.
- 2 pounds small (baby) eggplants
- 1 head garlic
- 3 tablespoons ground red pepper
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- For every 2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- Trim the head of the eggplants and rise in some water. immerse in boiling water and leave on medium heat for 5 minutes. The eggplants should be immersed all the time. You could put a small ceramic dish over them so that they do not float.
- Meanwhile prepare the stuffing. Peel and mash the garlic adding a pinch of salt and pepper. Then add the ground red pepper or paprika and mix well
- Drain and cool the eggplants and stuff them with the garlic-pepper mixture. With your index finger make a small dent in the side of each eggplant (eggplants should be soft but not mashed). Stuff half a teaspoon of the mixture inside every eggplant (you can add more for an intense flavor if you want).
- Arrange eggplants in jars and pour the solution.
- Close the jar very tightly and leave for 2 weeks to pickle.
- Perfect with grilled meats and tomato stews like Bami (Okra Stew).