This simple recipe brings out the special flavor artichoke has to offer. Syrians eat mainly the heart of artichokes (not the leaves). The hearts are stuffed with meat and served with rice.
- 2 pounds artichoke hearts (can also be found frozen in Middleastern groceries)
- 1/2 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1/2 cup mushroom, sliced
- (peas and mushroom are optional. You can add your favorite small veggie to color the sauce)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, optional
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 400
- Saute the onion in olive oil. When transparent, add the meat and cook until done. Season with salt and all spice
- Arrange the artichoke hearts in a big oven pan. They will be like small dishes. Fill each one with meat until you can’t fill it any more. (some people like to add some mozzarella cheese on top of the meat).
- Sprinkle small veggies around the artichoke (veggies are optional).
- Whisk together stock, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper (and lemon juice). Add mixture to the pan.
- Set in the oven for 50 minutes covered with aluminum foil for the first 40 minutes.
- Serve with peppered rice and Syrian Everyday Salad.