A quick sweet dish that’s great for breakfast, supper. Tamria is also used as a stuffing for the famous date cookies (Maamoul).
- 8oz dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Chop the dates. Dates used here are called Ajwa which are ripe dark dates. They are very sweet so you do not usually need to add sugar. You can leave them unchopped if preparing them for breakfast or supper, but you need to chop them if you are making cookie stuffing.
- In a pan over the heat, add the ghee then the dates and mix well until incorporated.
- Mix frequently for 5-10 minutes depending on how caramelized you want the dates to be. Typically for cookie stuffing, a simple 2-minute mix will do, but for a meal you can caramelized them further to bring out more sweetness and flavor.
- Serve immediately while hot with flat bread. scoop tamria with bread bites and eat salty Syrian white cheese or Akawi cheese on the side (to contradict the sweetness of the dates).