The rich nutty flavor of burgul is combined with the freshness of tomatoes and peppers to cook this easy and yummy dish. Meat is optional.
- 1 pound coarse or medium burgul #2 or #3
- 2 pounds tomatoes (summer tomato is best)
- 2 green peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 ground lamb/beef (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ghee/or 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a big pot of boiling water, dip the tomatoes for one minutes then remove and peel. Dice them into medium-size pieces (if you are using canned diced tomatoes, skip this step).
- Chop the onion and saute it until translucent. Chop the green peppers and add to the onion and saute for a minute then add the ground meat (if using meat) and brown.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer on a medium-low heat for 15 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, wash the burgul with lukewarm water, drain and add to the sauce.
- When the mixture starts to boil, cover and let simmer on a very low heat for 20 minutes. Check after 10 minutes since you may need to add some water (1/4 cup is ok).
- When the burgul is done, serve hot with Eggplant Pickles, turnip pickles or Syrian Everyday Salad.
Makes 3-4 servings