‘Kibbeh on a tray’ is one of the easiest kibbeh dishes to make, yet full of kibbeh’s nutty flavor and highly adaptable. Kibbeh dough is layered with meat-nut mixture, baked and served with salads and yogurt.
- 1 recipe Kibbeh dough
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted pinenuts, or 1/2 cup other type of nuts like almonds or walnuts
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Bharat (Syrian Spice Mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinneman (optional)
- 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter), or 1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon olive oil for greasing pan
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- to make the filling, saute the chopped onion (if using any) in cooking oil, then add the meat and brown. Add spices, salt and nuts and let cool a little.
- Lightly grease a 9*13 baking pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Divide Kibbeh dough in half. You might need to knead it a little adding few drops of water if you made it ahead of time. Then, press half of the dough evenly on the pan. This works better if you divide it into pieces and stick them to each other then with a moistened hand level all so they form a smooth connected surface.
- Spoon filling over the kibbeh.
- Add the other half of kibbeh dough following same directions. Do not press this layer too hard.
- With a pairing knife, score in a diamond pattern. Using the tip of a spoon make a crescent shaped dent in each diamond.
- Brush top with olive oil or ghee
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until cooked through. Then broil for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with Laban bikhyar (cucumber yogurt salad) or Syrian Everyday Salad.
- Note: Kibbeh pie can also be made out of one layer without the meat filling.
Makes 5 servings