A quick, easy, delicious and funappetizer that will please anyone including the little ones! Zaatar mix is rolled in a doughand and cut into swirls. Zaatar is an herby mixture of thyme, sumac and sesame popluar in Syria.
- 1 recipe of Ajeen (Savory Dough) or one ready pizza crust or one puff pastry sheet
- 1/2 cup zaatar (add some sumac to taste if it doesn’t have any)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup thick crushed tomato (or one medium tomato, crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a cookie sheet with some oil and set aside.
- to make the filling, combine tomato, zaatar and olive oil and mix well. Set aside for three minutes to thicken.
- With a rolling pin, spread the dough on a lightly floured surface to make a 18″*11″ rectangle. If using puff pastry, follow instructions on packet to defrost and spread.
- Spread the filling over the entire rectangle.
- Roll the dough to make one long cylander. Then, with a pairing knife, cut it into 1/2″ slices.
- Place the slices, cut side down, onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the pasteries from baking sheets and let cool on wire rack for 10 mintues.
- Zaatar swirls go well with Tabouli salad.
makes 20-24 swirls