These melt-in-your-mouth sugar cookies are easy to make. You only need three ingredients to make a dessert loved by all, big and small!
- 1/2 pound clarified butter, cooled (or samneh, or ghee)
- 1/2 pound powder sugar
- 1 pound flour
- Halved almonds or pistachios (for decoration)
- Clarified butter is similar to regular butter, but without much of the water content. You can buy it from middle Easter stores (also called ghee or samneh), or you can make it at home. Some people prefer to add more butter to this recipe, up to 1/4 pounds more.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Beat the cooled clarified butter for 2 minutes.
- Add the powder sugar and continue to beat until creamy.
- Add the flour and beat/knead until incorporated.
- Knead the dough a little. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shapes into small balls or rings and press a piece of nut in the middle.
- Arrange in an ungreased cookie sheet and bake until very light golden, between 8-15 minutes.
- To preserve their shape while baking, you can either refrigerate them after shaping or lightly broil for one minutes at the beginning (do not let them change color).
- Remove from cookie sheet when cool. Ghraybeh is sandy and very sensitive when hot, so handle with care or else it will break.
- Best served with tea or coffee.