Although pasta is not native to the Syrian kitchen, yogurt pasta is a successful and favorite adaption. Yogurt is a creamy healthy alternative to Alfredo sauce. This can be eaten as an appetizer or a side dish next to meats or as a quick healthy snack.
- 1/2 pound thin spaghetti/ angel hair/ or spaghetti
- 1 pound plain yogurt (in room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (optional)
- 2 cloves mashed garlic
- A pinch of paprika
- Salt to taste
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Most people cut it in half, but you do not have to. Drain very well.
- In a big bowl mix mashed garlic, yogurt, salt then add drained pasta. It is very important that pasta is drained well so the dish won’t be runny. Syrian yogurt is thicker than Western one.
- The dish can be eaten cold so yogurt can be used directly out of the fridge. I like it a little warm. So I use room-temperature yogurt and use the pasta while it is warm. Note that the pasta should not be hot and you should not warm yogurt, otherwise it will become watery.
- Mix well and serve garnished with paprika. You can also heat ghee well and pour it on top. It should give a n ice sizzling sound. Enjoy!.