A staple Syrian dish, very versatile that people eat it fried, roasted, grilled, cooked in different sauces or even raw.This recipe is for the basic Kibbeh dough. Click on the links for specific kibbeh recipes.
- 1 pound fine burgul #1
- 1pound very lean ground (minced) beef
- 2 tablespoons mashed onion (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Bharat (Syrian Spice Mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Wash and drain the burgul and set aside for 30 minutes. You want it to absorb just enough water so it is soft (but not mushy). During this half an hour, sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of water over the burgul every 5-10 minutes. Remember, you do not want it to be soaked.
- Add all the ingredients to the burgul and mix well with your hands until all is incorporated very well. You might need to add little water to the dough if it is very thick
- Process the dough twice in a meat grinder using the medium setting. If you do not have a meat grinder, you can use a food processor.
- Cover the dough with a wet kitchen towel and set in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it..
- The dough can be used to make baked, fried, grilled, or cooked kibbeh. Check the links below for recipes.