This is the traditional everyday salad in Syria. It can also be referred to as ‘Arabic salad’ or ‘salad’. Tomato, cucumber, green pepper and lemon all make for a crunchy and refreshing salad in those hot summer days.
- 1/2 pound tomatoes
- 1/2 pound cucumbers
- 1 green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red or white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 7-8 fresh mint leaves, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed mint)
- 1 lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste.
- Dice the tomatoes, green pepper and cucumbers into small pieces. You might need to peel the cucumbers if the peel is tough and waxy (like American cucumbers).
- Add all vegetables and herbs and mix well. You can make this ahead and keep refrigerated until before serving.
- Make the dressing by adding lemon, olive oil, and salt.
- Add dressing to salad 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with many dishes like Maqluba, Kibbeh and Mujadara.
Makes 2-3 servings