A dip with a different taste, texture and flavor than your usual mezze spread. Walnut, red pepper, pomegranate molasses render a taste you will never forget.
- 1 cup coarsely-ground walnut
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 big red pepper (use chili or sweet one)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Quarter the red pepper, rub with little olive oil and roast in an oven for 20 minutes. You can use chili or sweet ones according to your taste. People usually prefer hot muhamara. You can also use red pepper paste if available in your Middle-eastern grocery store or just dried paprika if nothing else is available.
- In a food processor, grind the walnut. Set aside and grind the onion then add the red pepper and grind them together.
- In a bowl, add walnut, breadcrumbs, onion and red pepper and salt. mix well then add the other ingredients.
- Mix everything very well and set aside. The mixture will get thicker after some time. Store in the refrigerator until serving
- Serve garnished with walnuts halves and olive oil.
Makes 2-3 servings