If you like meatballs, try the Syrian tasty and fresh version. Meatballs are flavored and cooked in a tomato-herb sauce and served with rice. This is a quick and yummy recipes for your busy days.
- 1 pound ground beef or lamp
- 3 pounds fresh tomato
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or canola oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon Bharat (Syrian Spice Mix)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the meat with 1/3 cup chopped parsley , 1/2 teaspoons salt and some black pepper. Form into small 1 inch balls.
- Brown the meatballs in ghee/oil for a couple of minutes on medium heat and make sure all sides are browned. You can alternatively brown them 350 oven for 30 minutes. Make sure to turn them half way through.
- Remove the meatballs and saute the onions with the drippings.
- Peel and dice the tomato and add it to the onions.
- Add salt and leave until it boils. Let it simmer for 30 minutes to thicken then add the meatballs and let cook for another 30 minutes.
- Add spices and chopped parsley 5 minutes before turning the heat off.
- Serve with rice.
Makes 2-3 servings