If you are a stew lover, this is the one for you! A rich deep blend of flavors. Lamb slowly cooked with potatoes and garnished with parsely/cilantro. A dish sure to fill your eyes and stomach.
- 3 pounds potato
- 1 pound boneless lamb shanks (or beef stew meat)
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or 1 tablespoon ghee)
- oil for frying
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Bharat (Syrian Spice Mix)
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- Salt to taste
- Put lamb shanks in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and remove all froth. Add salt and spices. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 2 hours.
- Peel the potatoes and dice into 2cm cubes. Deep fry in canola oil and leave them on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Saute the onion. When translucent, add mined garlic and stir for a minute.
- Then add the meat and stock to the onion and stir in the potatoes. Season with the rest of the spices and adjust the salt. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add parsely/cilantro 3 minutes before turning the heat off. mix gently.
- Serve hot with peppered rice and garlic yogurt.
Makes 5-6 servings