Roz Bhaleeb (Rice Pudding)
Written by Ghinwa Alameen
Sunday, 10 January 2010 13:46
Indulge your senses in this cool smooth creamy dessert. Rice is cooked until completely done to thicken milk. The mixture simmers to attain a perfectly smooth texture. Rose water will add a mysterious heavenly touch.
- 5 cups milk (whole or reduced fat)
- 1/2 cup medium-grain rice
- 1/2 cup sugar (add 2 tbs for more sweeter pudding)
- 2-3 tbs rose water
- 1 tbs orange zest
- Wash then boil rice in water two inches above rice level. simmer for 30-40 minutes or until rice is done. You might have to add more water so rice does not stick to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat milk in a saucepan on a medium heat until hot, but do no boil.
- Slowly add rice to milk and stir well so rice does not crumble.
- Turn down the heat and leave the mixture on low heat stirring occasionally for an hour and a half until it thickens. It is very important that you stir every five minutes or so so rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan. If milk stuck, do not try to scratch off.
- When mixture thickens and reaches a consistency similar to unrefrigerated vanilla pudding, add sugar and rose water and leave for extra ten minutes.
- Turn off heat and pour pudding in small or big bowls and leave outside until it cools.
- Sprinkle with orange zest and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
makes 10 servings
Last Updated on Thursday, 16 December 2010 15:44